Next up in this year’s series of affordable gifts is d.i.y. shower jelly. I’ve seen these pop up in recent years in the popular fancy bath product stores. I looked at them and said what I say when I see most things, “I can make that”. Although often times I say that and it turns out not to be true, this time….it was so easy that even I could do it. Not only was it super easy but also very affordable.
Here’s what you will need:
- 8 oz bottle of Castile Unscented Liquid Soap
- 1 oz unflavored Gelatin
- 2 cups water
To add color and scents you will need:
- Food coloring (add a few drops to reach desired color)
- Scented Oil (I got mine here)
These containers are the perfect size to create individual portions of the jelly. Best of all, you get 10 containers for $1 at Dollar Tree!
- Pour 1 oz of gelatin into 1 cup of cold water, let sit for 1-2 minutes
- Pour 1 cup of boiling hot water over the gelatin mixture, allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Add 1/4 cup of castile soap to gelatin
- Divide mixture if you want to make different colors and scents
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each mixture until you reach desired hue
- Add 10-15 drops of scented oil
I used a small funnel to easily transfer the gelatin mixture into the individual containers.
I created 3 scents/colors: honeysuckle (green), black raspberry vanilla (red), and mango papaya (yellow). They all smell great and are sure to create an invigorating shower experience!
The above recipe filled all ten containers. I ended up mixing one with red and yellow to create the rogue orange jelly which created an interesting combo scent.
Lastly, put the containers in the fridge to set. Within an hour or two your shower jellies are ready!
So there you have it. A cute, fun, and beautifully scented gift that your friends and family will love!! You don’t even have to tell them how easy and cheap these were to make, lol.
Stay tuned for the completion of the d.i.y. gift trifecta…..